Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Temple Day, and other things.

Woah, it's been a month! It's crazy how time flies by when you've got lots and lots to do. I don't mind, September isn't my favorite anyways...it's all about the holiday seasons, baby! Now it's October and it's finally getting chilly...I bought (at first against my better judgment) a heather gray $6 pair of Haynes sweatpants from Wal-Mart...THEY ARE THE BEST THINGS EVER!!!!! So comfy. And relatively stylish! Everyone needs one. Wonderful stocking stuffers. Also, Tommy and I are in a Bee Gees phase. We love everything Gibb...I love Barry, especially. We try to sing the harmonies to "Nights on Broadway" in the car all the time. We're weird, but groovy, so it's okay.

Today was SVU's Temple Service Day, where we get off school and have the chance to go to the DC temple instead and give service. Since Tommy and I didn't want to pay for gas ($60!), we got up at 6 am to hitch a ride with the student wards in charter buses. Needless to say, I am so thankful that I'm not single anymore...and that I'm not a freshman anymore. But it was great because we got to go to the temple, and the ride and lunch was free, and you can't beat that! I hadn't been to the temple since we got married, and I really was aching to go back. It's not as close as the LA temple was to my house back in California, but it's still important to me to go as much as I can. I just plain love being there, it's so pretty and quiet and everyone is friendly. Sometimes, worship aside, you just want to be in a quiet, pretty place with nice people.

Here's some pics of Tommy and I at the temple, taken from our sweet new EVOS! We're obviously not good at phone cam picture taking. Ha ha. Can you tell how tired we were?





Well, life is good. Lacrosse and softball are keeping us busy. I'm being bit by spiders and gnats like crazy! My legs swell up so bad! And, I got bitten by a spider on my chin and my forehead, at the same time. Hopefully the bugs will go away when it gets cold enough. There's Gold Bond, Cortisone cream, and another generic bug bite cream on my bedside table...Tommy hasn't been touched by the plague! That's a good thing, though. I'm happy for him. (NOT!)

I really need to write here more. I need to write more, period! I am getting serious in writing my book now...I've already outlined it as far as I want to, and can't wait to continue the arduous typing process. Tommy's hoping that it'll sell big so that he can live off my money...so am I! He's also encouraging me to write children's novels, and I'm really considering it. I could even illustrate them myself! Those were the books that influenced me the most growing up (Redwall, Madeline L'Engle, books by Avi) and they're the most imaginative. With adults, you have to depict their world and characters that they can understand, or else you lose their interest. With kids, you relate through imagination...which is how I still learn about and understand and express how I see life. Go figure! So stay tuned on the children's novels...my next great American novels on the forefront.

Weird factoid about me: I enjoy typing, and type faster, when I'm wearing nail polish. Hmm.

Also, I got a design internship at SVU! It's super awesome, 10 hrs a week designing posters and digital media. More on that later!

I'm really enjoying completing my Art major this semester. My adv. oil painting class is so much fun - I have my own studio space, with a huge window! Buying paints and canvas is not fun. But...worth it to me. I'm working on a panel for an exhibition at the DC visitor's center called "Fulfill the Vision"... I'm not sure they're gonna like mine, but who cares. It's called "Bambina" and was orig. part of a triptych sort of thing that I did. I finally feel like I've found my groove, and what I want to do with my artwork. Professor Himes said that it was "exciting" and let me talk about it in front of our class. That's a good sign, right?

Here's a picture of it. For the exhibition, I'm painting the figure on the turquoise and white below, instead of the black. A little too black for an LDS show, I guess. (It's applied with a pallet knife and a tiny tiny brush, took me forever! I don't know how Bob Ross did all his pallet knifing in 30 minutes. Maybe because he's really Santa Claus.)


You can't see it, but the turquoise is mixed with white streaks. I'll add new pics when its finished. I've since finished the background, and it dried a really pretty light blue instead. Happy little accidents, as B.R. would say.


So, that's all for now! Miss my families.
Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment